ST NICHOLAS COLLEGIATE CHURCH

Located in the middle of Galway’s medieval centre, St Nicholas Collegiate Church dates back to the 13th century.  It has been in continuous use as a place of worship since its foundation and is currently an Anglican/Episcopal Church.

It also hosts many concerts during the year and is a beautiful and atmospheric venue for the music of the Galway Early Music Festival.

St. Nicholas’ Collegiate Church is located in the centre of Galway, at the junction of Mainguard Street and Lombard Street.

MICK LALLY THEATRE

The Mick Lally theatre is located on Druid Lane, off of Quay St.

The Mick Lally Theatre has been the home of Druid’s work since 1979. The building was once a tea storehouse, owned by the McDonaghs, one of Galway’s famous merchant families. What was known as Druid Theatre was renamed ‘The Mick Lally Theatre’ in 2011 in memory of Druid co-founder the late Mick Lally. The theatre has since become home to many visiting and local organisations and is a regular venue in annual festival programmes including Galway Theatre Festival, Baboró Children’s Arts Festival, Galway International Arts Festival and Galway Jazz Festival, and now The Galway Early Music Festival.

Through the years the lane on which the theatre is situated has gone by numerous names; Red Earls Lane, Chapel Lane, Courthouse Lane (there formerly having been a courthouse at the Flood Street end of the lane) and since 1996, Druid Lane, when Galway City Council renamed the lane for Druid’s 21st birthday.

MEYRICK BALLROOM, MEYRICK HOTEL, EYRE SQUARE

Hotel Meyrick overlooks Eyre Square in Galway city centre.  Eyre Square is the centre of Galway City and connects the Galway Train Station and Galway Bus Station with the main shopping streets in Galway such as William Street, Shop Street and Quay Street.

Eyre Square was originally known as ‘The Green’ and in medieval times was situated in front of town gate where markets took place on a weekly basis. In 1710 the land was officially presented to the city by Mayor Edward Eyre and became Eyre Square. Hotel Meyrick started being built in 1845 and opened in 1852 as the Western Railway Hotel before becoming the Great Southern Hotel Galway many years later. The current name of Hotel Meyrick came from a time in the early 1800s when the square was known as Meyrick Square after General Meyrick.

GALWAY CITY MUSEUM

The Galway City Museum is just through the archway on the Spanish Arch.

 

THE LATIN QUARTER

The Latin Quarter is the centre of Medieval Galway, with many of the building dating back to the 16th and 17th centuries.  It is a lively area of shops, pubs and restaurants, as well as a cultural hub, with the Galway City Museum, Druid Theatre, The Hall of the Red Earl, Duchas na Gaillimhe and the Mick Lally Theatre.  The Latin Quarter is a Galway Early Music Festival sponsor.

Location: From High Street to the Spanish Arch and from Church Lane to Middle St.

 

MECHANICS INSTITUTE

The Mechanics Institute was founded in 1838 and is now a thriving social club in the Latin Quarter.

The Mechanics Institute is located on Middle St.